Friday, February 1, 2008

Unemployed...(sigh)

This week finds me unemployed - no-notice - that's what happens when you work kinda contract labor type stuff... One day they decide they can't afford labor and you're the one that gets cut - no notice, no benefits, no severance...

Except the crappy part of this was that I had about 3 months notice, but they stated they had gotten approval to extend me though November 2008...then they didn't follow through with the funding and told me two days after my "contract" had expired - so yeah, they owe me for a couple of days of work.

Now I'm job hunting (insert crappy tone of voice here). I applied for yet another position this morning - resume #11 sent out.

(sigh) What do I want to be when I grow up?

I've learned from my previous jobs that the things I thought I would really want to do when I was younger, I still have a desire to do (see #1 and 2 below). And the career paths I've developed as I've gotten older, I find to be unsatisfying, though they pay more. I've never been one to want a job just because it's "higher paying," but it seems that is what society tells you to do.

Of course there is a natural progression of career paths I can take from the experience gained in my current job, but I don't like the "benefits" and "benefits" are supposed to be "beneficial" right?

I don't know exactly what I want, but I do know that I don't want:
1. A 24-hour on-call schedule and an "electronic leash" (aka: company phone). When I leave work, I want to LEAVE work.
2. A job that does not pay overtime for regularly required 12-14 hour days
3. A job that involves weekends or shifts
4. A job that "requires" you to be away from home regularly
5. A job that "requires" you to move every 3-7 years

I think I might want to:
1. Teach/coach high school (everyone tells me this is ridiculous, though I think some are called)
2. Work in Health/Wellness/Fitness
3. Work for myself (doing what? I don't know).

Things I have been told that I will not consider:
1. Counseling
2. Police Officer

Things I said when I was younger, but also no longer consider:
1. Veterinarian (Didn't every kid say that?) I think I starting using this when people laughed at my #3...
2. A truck driver
3. American Gladiator (though they are making a come back)

2 comments:

Kris the Girl said...

Will you still be my landlord, though?

cls said...

What do you mean you're unemployed?! I thought you just made Capitan!