Monday, January 21, 2008

The Great Deck of 2008

On the 6th day it was complete and on the 7th day, they rested...

Kris' parents came down from Anchorage and stayed about a week and half with us. It was great to see them. I guess the last time we saw them was this summer in Montana for Kris' sister's wedding. Hopefully, we'll make a trip up to Alaska this summer to visit them.

While they were here, they orchestrated this massive undertaking of an idea I have been toying with for a couple of years. Let me back up a bit to fill you in: I jokingly invited them to come down for Thanksgiving and help me build a deck. They seriously agreed, but stated they'd visit in January instead of November. So in late October, I hired a guy to help me rip out my window to the backyard and put in a french door, since the back door was actually on the side of the house (in the kitchen) and the backyard is huge for being in the city.
After this project was complete, there was about a 3ft drop to the ground, as you can see Shatze clearly illustrating - just begging for the deck!

I took some measurements and mapped out my minimum and max deck sizes (for pricing estimates). Kris' parents started drawing up some plans and then arrived in January. We got to work (mainly Kris' parents while we were at work) and knocked it out in 5.5 days! Here's some pics!
Setting pier blocks and pavers - and the daunting task of leveling them b/c the ground sure wasn't level.Deciding how many levels b/c the ground wasn't level enough for the original plans.Terry starting the top level to the door. Threshold plus step included...Starting the deck top - composite redwood. (Cheaper than cedar in Oklahoma! Really!)
Friday afternoon - Terry finished the final 4 boards and sawed off the ends. Shatze was very curious where her grass went. Finished! - The deck crew, Jan 13-18, 2008!

3 comments:

Kris the Girl said...

We? Are awesome. Plus my parents, too.

cls said...

WOW! That is amazing!!

Tonya said...

Your deck looks great. Want to help us build one when we get back to the states? Oh, wait, you'll be leaving soon after....nice timing.